Workers’ Compensation: Answers To Common Questions

When you’ve been injured on the job, you may be unsure where to turn. The Law Office of Patrick G. Shea, APC, has represented clients throughout California. We approach each case with the care and compassion it deserves. You can rest assured that your best interests will be represented from beginning to end. Below is a list of frequently asked questions for your convenience. After reading through them, contact our office in San Diego at 619-489-7153 to discuss your options with someone from our experienced team.

How long do I have to make a claim?

It is important to report your injury to your manager as soon as possible. However, typically, you have 30 days to file a claim. There are certain instances where this can be waived. For example, if an injury does not show up right away, you still may be able to seek benefits.

What types of benefits am I entitled to?

Every case is different and it depends on your specific situation. You may be eligible to receive payment for medical expenses and lost wages. You also might be able to use compensation for rehabilitation treatment. If you’ve been permanently injured, you could recover damages as well.

How do I know if my employer has workers’ compensation insurance?

Every employer in the state of California is required to have insurance. If they failed to follow the law, you can file a lawsuit against them. Regardless, you can still file a workers’ compensation claim with the state of California. This way, you can receive benefits from the state. Together we can determine what option is in your best interest.